Posted on April 2, 2013
A quick and objective-filled weekend back in Perth. What were my objectives? Find myself an outfit worthy of my 30th birthday celebration, eat some of Mumsy’s finest home-cooked specialties, and stuff myself silly with dim sum. Tick, tick and tick!
1. My David Austen roses thriving in Jinn’s care.
2. A highly successful day at Black Beret in Mount Lawley. Not one but TWO Rachel Gilbert dresses are now in my possession! (Stay tuned for an outfit post from the day!)
3, 4, 5. Heading out for dinner on Saturday night. Not at the newly opened Jamie’s Italian though! We thought we might try our luck for a sneaky post-dinner dessert, but there were people still queuing for dinner at 9:00pm!
6, 7. Trying out the highly popular Taiwanese dessert place in Northbridge, Meet Fresh. So Asian. So good.
8, 9. My furbaby.
10, 11. Chilling with records and tea.
12, 13. Easter Monday breakfast at ours with a sleepy Gabs.
Posted on January 1, 2013
If you haven’t met her yet – this is my fresh sweet-smelling amazing new niece, Gabrielle! She’s nine weeks old now. I know it’s said time and time again, but they really do change at an incredible pace at this age. From tiny squishy packages, eyes barely open and limbs held tightly to themselves, to still small beings that fit so perfectly in the crook of your arm but start to interact with the people and world around them – sometimes quietly observing, faces almost comically serious (what could possibly be worrying you that much at the ripe old age of two months old?!), sometimes engaging fully with smiles and coos, kicking out with those little chubby legs of theirs in glee.
There’s nothing quite like looking into the faces and eyes of children. To me it brings me back to the core of all things and reminds me of what true and unbridled love and joy really can be. Emotions untainted by ulterior motives, prospects of material gain, past hurts, deep insecurities – things that are “learnt” – and of course, their fearless ability to find happiness in the simple pleasure of experiencing new things. This new year I resolve to love, live and learn more like a child does – with my heart wide open, empty of prejudice and full of curiosity.
What are your new year’s resolutions?
Posted on December 21, 2012
The week before Christmas is always a tad “cray cray” (cue pumping Jay-Z and Kanye music). This year’s been a bit different as I’ve been working pretty much every single weekend this month, causing me to miss out on all the usual pre-holiday shopping rush, which means I’ve not even seen a single department store Christmas display (bristling with armies of Santas, Rudolphs and Frosties) or heard any carols on loop! (Silver bells…Silver beeeells…!) So it’s crept up on me really suddenly!
1. Baking cupcakes (Unsuccessfully trying to do the “pro” looking icing on top. Any tips?).
2. Jinn’s new Creepy t-shirt from Ruck Rover. I bought this for his Christmas present but he clearly couldn’t wait a few more days!
3. Yet another obsession (What. Aside from vintage cameras, cacti, bow ties, coffee and things with chevrons on them?) – vinyl records. Newly acquired by Jinn, clockwise from top left: The Beatles – Hey Jude, Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend, Kimbra – Vows, The Fugees – The Score.
5. An early Christmas present/belated birthday present from a girlfriend! Apparently it’ll grow into a miniature garden if you place it on a windowsill and water it ever so often! Check out Postcarden here.
6. Rach and Nat – artistic flair at its best.
7. Gabrielle (I like to call her Yo Gabba Gabba, but no one else knows that yet. Do you think it’ll catch on?) – She’s growing so fast!
8. Schnooks relaxing after a long day of…relaxing.
Posted on November 30, 2012
1. We had a great time catching up with friends on Saturday at a barbeque at South Perth foreshore. Not only was the company excellent, but the view of Perth from over the river is spectacular. (Happy birthday Manal!)
2. Our nephew Nathanael gave Jinn some of his highly treasured Kung Fu Panda sticky plasters as a present for his birthday. And Jinn needed them – heartfelt and practical!
3. Some behind-the-scenes pics from the photoshoot with Steven.
4. Schnooks was intrigued.
5. We had a one month ‘birthday’ party for our new niece Gabrielle. Proud Grandmumsy + bub.
6. Jinn and Nathanael up to the usual guff. They’re roughly the same mental age.
7. The beautiful one month old Gabrielle!
8. Happy Weekend! We have a huge wedding bonanza of a weekend coming up with Jinn’s sister getting hitched. There are almost 30 people descending upon the Teh family home from Malaysia – lots of celebrations, ceremonies, shenanigans and bad dancing in store for us. (Did I just hear you say “Oppa Gangnam style!”?)