Posted on May 22, 2013
So whilst Jinn was diligently waiting in a very very long line on a very very cold Saturday morning in London to buy some much coveted limited edition vinyls on Record Store Day, I went for a wee wander around Soho! And I was well rewarded by the discovery of the Hummingbird Bakery. It took all I had not to cry, “I’ll have one of everything!”. Seriously, choosing a cupcake was like choosing a favourite child! Finally, one cupcake stood out from all the rest – it turned out to be their available-Saturdays-only Eton Mess cupcake, and it was gooooood. Fluffy light vanilla sponge injected with fresh cream and strawberries, then topped with an Italian meringue icing, crispy regular meringue bits, then more cream and fruit! What a blissful little mouthful that was…
This bakery actually does an insanely good recipe book. I only dare use this book and the Primrose Bakery cupcake compendium as their recipes are mouthwateringly well presented, as well as pretty foolproof, as I am in no way a particularly adventurous baker. None of this “a little bit of this and a little bit of that”, I’d end up with a bunch of chocolate rocks if I tried that!
To well and truly satisfy that sweet tooth of yours, pay a visit to one of their stores! Check out their website here for locations.
Posted on December 21, 2012
The week before Christmas is always a tad “cray cray” (cue pumping Jay-Z and Kanye music). This year’s been a bit different as I’ve been working pretty much every single weekend this month, causing me to miss out on all the usual pre-holiday shopping rush, which means I’ve not even seen a single department store Christmas display (bristling with armies of Santas, Rudolphs and Frosties) or heard any carols on loop! (Silver bells…Silver beeeells…!) So it’s crept up on me really suddenly!
1. Baking cupcakes (Unsuccessfully trying to do the “pro” looking icing on top. Any tips?).
2. Jinn’s new Creepy t-shirt from Ruck Rover. I bought this for his Christmas present but he clearly couldn’t wait a few more days!
3. Yet another obsession (What. Aside from vintage cameras, cacti, bow ties, coffee and things with chevrons on them?) – vinyl records. Newly acquired by Jinn, clockwise from top left: The Beatles – Hey Jude, Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend, Kimbra – Vows, The Fugees – The Score.
5. An early Christmas present/belated birthday present from a girlfriend! Apparently it’ll grow into a miniature garden if you place it on a windowsill and water it ever so often! Check out Postcarden here.
6. Rach and Nat – artistic flair at its best.
7. Gabrielle (I like to call her Yo Gabba Gabba, but no one else knows that yet. Do you think it’ll catch on?) – She’s growing so fast!
8. Schnooks relaxing after a long day of…relaxing.