Posted on May 6, 2014
Everybody loves a good banana bread. Somewhere in between a dessert and a savoury, and labelled as bread to make it a valid “healthy option”. Win win.
The reason why this one is so spunky, however, is due to the addition of dark chocolate and a few handfuls of toasted flaked almonds. The original recipe called for hazelnuts but it was 11:15am, my shift was due to start at 12pm, and I had to make the executive decision to use the already ready almond flakes over my non-toasted non-chopped hazelnuts. It was a decision that I did not regret! Yes, I was a wee bit late to work – but I came bearing freshly baked cake and soon all was forgiven and forgotten…!
- 125g butter, softened
- 175g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mashed banana
- 70g toasted almonds (flaked or slivered)
- 90g chopped dark chocolate
- 255g plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate powder (baking soda), sifted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 115g golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 160ºC.
- Prepare a 26cm x 11cm loaf tin.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract together until well combined and creamy.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating well in between.
- Finally, add the banana, almonds, chocolate, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate powder, cinnamon and golden syrup and stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into your loaf tin.
- Bake for 75 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.